I promise... no more than 5 minutes to prepare this dish, and if you use very thinly sliced veal or beef (which we call carpaccio, and is usually served row) just a couple of minutes to cook!
But what a smell!!
The pink mortadella gives colour and a special aroma to the meat, just add very little salt, and the dark green, velvet sage leaves add their special hint.
Everybody will enjoy it.
Serve with a simple lettuce salad, just cut the clean leaves into stripes, add some slices of fennel, few drops of balsamic vinegar, salt and a twist of extra virgin olive oil, and that's it!
Ingredients for 4
12 slices (very thinly cut) veal or beef
12 slices Mortadella di Bologna (do not spare.. buy the original one!)
12 fresh sage leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
Suggested side dish: lettuce and fennel salad - you choose your proportions.
1) Take away the outside skin of mortadella and the pepper and wash the sage leaves; dry them.
2) Put the sage leaves on each slices of meat.
Fold the mortadella slices into two and put it on each meat slice.
Yes, you can cut away exceeding mortadella and eat it!
3) Roll the meat slice, mortadella and sage inside, and secure the roll with a toothpick.
4) Try not to make them too thick, otherwise you will have to cook them for a longer time and this would make the meat to become a little bit more hard.
5) Wash your salad and the fennel, and cut them into slices and thin stripes. Dress with salt, few drops of balsamic vinegar and little olive oil.
6) Warm up a non stick pan (or a heavy pan) with 1 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil and cook for two minutes on each side.
Add a little bit of salt.