You can also use thick spaghetti or whole wheat pasta (I recommend spaghetti or penne), more suitable for vegetarians!
But let’s stick to the original.
This is one of the few recipes for which I use the pasta machine, because as the rolling pin is not requested, and you need that special roller to cut it, it takes just few minutes to have a fantastic pasta!
300 grs flour
2 red/yellow sweet peppers
4-5 spoons extra virgin olive oil
100 grs. ricotta
1 tea spoon fennel seeds
1) Wash and dry your peppers. Put them in a pre-heated oven 180° covered with baking paper for at least 30° or 4-5 minutes in the microwave. They must be soft and hot.
2) In the meanwhile prepare your pasta, weight the 3 eggs first (here they are 5 because I made it for 6 people), then put the same quantity of flour on a pastry board, make a well in the centre, pour in the eggs and start mixing with a fork, adding the flour when needed.
3) Make a nice dough and work it with your hands for at least 5-7 minutes. Let it rest 30 minutes in a bowl covered with a clean cloth.
4) Go back to your sweet peppers, they should be hot and soft .
Close them immediately in an air tight container or bag and let them cool down.
5) When warm, peal them (the outer skin comes very easily) and remove and discard the stem and the seeds.
6) Process them in your food processor together with the oil, the fennel seeds and a pinch of salt. Add the ricotta to obtain a very smooth creamy seasoning. taste again and add salt if needed. Refrigerate it if you are not using it within an hour or so.
7) Prepare your pasta machine. Cut the dough into slices, and pass it through the first rollers. Dust the stripes you obtain with some flour.
8) Decrease the distance between the rollers and pass it again through the rollers.
9) Repeat until you are in the middle of your dial and let all the stripes dry a bit.
10) Prepare one or more trays with a clean cloth.
11) Install your cutter on the machine and after dusting the stripes once more with flour cut the pasta into square spaghetti. Display them on the trays and dust them with some flour.
12) Let them dry for a while. They should not stick to each other.
13) Few minutes before eating, throw the home made spaghetti in a deep pan of salted boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes until they float. Drain them well in a colander, dress them with the creamy pepper sauce and serve immediately.