I was looking for a different side dish, instead of potatoes or salad for once, to add something new to my menu, and I found this old, traditional recipe from Naples which uses the typical Mediterranean ingredients. I really love it, it is full of taste and can be served as starter as well.
This recipe can be prepared in advance and put in the oven just before you eat it!
Ingredients for 4
4 Small escarole heads
2 Garlic cloves
20 grs. Pine nuts
20 grs. Raisin (soaked in warm water for 5-10 minutes)
50 grs Capers (de-salted under cold water)
1 cup Bread crumbs
30 g Anchovies (de- salted under cold water and cut into pieces)
80 grs Black olives, (no pips)
Parsley (washed and finely cut- leaves only)
Extra virgin oil
Salt and pepper
1) Wash your escaroles without separating the leaves and boil into salted hot water until soft.
2) Drain well, let them cool and take off all the cooking water pressing gently in order not to break them.
3) Pre-heat your oven at 170 °C/338°F
4) For the stuffing: in a large pan warm 4 spoons of extra virgin olive oil and let the garlic cook until it becomes blond and soft. Remove it.
5) Add 4 spoons of bread crumbs and let it saute for few minutes until toasted.
6) Add the pine nuts and the raisin, mix well and before removing from fire add the anchovies, the parsley and a pinch of pepper.
7) Now open the leaves of each escarole and distribute some of the filling, reserving one spoon to garnish, and close them tightly.
8) Dispose the stuffed escarole in a baking pan greased with oil, put on the vegetables the remaining filling, put some more olive oil (about 1 spoon) and cook in the oven for about half an hour.
9) Serve hot or warm.