Gorgonzola is a straw-white, soft cheese with greenish streaks deriving from a process called "erborinatura" in Italian, that is the creation of moulds.
This cheese is creamy and soft, with a peculiar, typical taste. Soft gorgonzola cheese is slightly spicy; spicy gorgonzola, whose curd is more blue-veined, is thicker and more crumbly. The name comes from a small town in Lombardy in the north of Italy where they are producing since year 1000. (for more information please see the page of the consortium .(http://www.gorgonzola.com/default.asp )
In this recipe, I use soft Gorgonzola to create a creamy sauce for the tenderloin. It take just few minutes to get ready and it forms a fantastic dressing, and the nuts give a final crunchy texture.
Open an nice bottle of red wine (Barbaresco, Chianti, Sangiovese superiore), it will be the right choice.
Ingredients for 4
4 slices of beef tenderloin about 1,5 cm / ¾ inch thick (or more if you like it and feel hungry)
450 gr./ 1 pound fresh spinach leaves
100 grs /3,08 ounces soft gorgonzola
6 spoons milk or cream
50 grams /1,5 ounces nuts
Salt and pepper
1) Wash the spinach leaves and boil them in salted water until soft. It takes a minute or two. Drain well without breaking the leaves and set aside, keeping the vegetable warm.
2) Cut gorgonzola in small pieces and put it in a small casserole with the milk. Over a low medium heat let the cheese melt. It should not boil.
3) Cut the nuts roughly and toast them 1-2 minutes in a non stick pan. They burn quickly: you cannot leave them unattended!
4) Just before serving, in a large pan melt the butter, and put the slices in the butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on your taste and season the with salt and pepper.
5) In the meanwhile, put the spinach leaves in the dishes.
6) Compose the dish putting the hot meat on the spinach leaves, topping with a spoon of the creamy cheese and a sprinkle of toasted nuts.
7) Serve immediately.