Gnocchi can be made with different ingredients, here is a very simple one, which everybody will like.
Also, I chose the simple and tasty Parmigiano sauce, but you can use other cheeses such as gorgonzola, Taleggio (http://www.taleggio.it/EN/Taleggio.htm), or as we do in my region, the rich bolognese sauce, made with pork sausage instead of minced beef. Note that the images refer to half portion as I made them for 2 people, while I give you the ingredients for 4
Ingredients for 4
1 kg/ 2.2 pounds potatoes
150 gr /5.29 ounces flour w180
120 gr./4.23 ounces potato flour
For the sauce
300 grs cream 35% fat
40 gr yolk
120 gr grated Parmigiano Reggiano (http://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/default.aspx)
Cream of balsamic vinegar of Modena (if you like it)
1) Wash the potatoes very well because you will boil them with the skin. Salt the water and boil the potatoes.
2) Mix well the 2 flours on your counter.
3) When the potatoes are ready (a knife can easily go through them), peel the potatoes while they are hot, but without burning you fingers!
5) Do not work the dough for long, but just the time to have all the ingredients together. Try to do it while the potatoes are still warm, it takes just a minute.
6) Sprinkle your counter with some extra potato flour, take a piece of dough and make long cylinders of the same thickness. Continue until you have dough.
8) Put aside on a tray with tea towel on it.
9) Prepare the sauce: Put the cream in a casserole and gently bring it to the boil. Take it out of fire and add the Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir well.
11) Cook the gnocchi in a large pan of salted boiling water. Pour them quickly because they cook in a couple of minutes, stirring gently now and then without breaking them.
12) When all of them float, drain them with a spotted spoon and put them in the pan with the warmed sauce. Stir gently.
13) Serve immediately
Serve with drops of traditional balsamic vinegar of Modena (aceto balsamico tradizionale) or balsamic vinegar cream.